Wednesday 13 November 2013

Methi Dana USALI.




Diabetic’s awareness Recipe.

Methi Dana USALI.

 How I use to hate this Menthe Usali  or Methi dana Usali!!!
Look at me now …here I’m, sharing the same fenugreek recipe with you all.
    During our childhood whenever we use to visit my mom’s elder sister means my Mavshi at Miraj, I could find this ‘Methi USALI’ daily on her kitchen counter. By closing my nose I use to make face n ask her... Mavshi, why do you eat this bitter Usali?? Don’t you know how to cook any other Usali?? Ask my mamma... She’ll teach you...Later I came to know that her hubby was suffering from high sugar level n she was giving him company. What a great lady!! This happens only in India right my friends??  I was surprised to see this height of love. Daily consumption helped my Uncle to some extent…Her belief in Home remedies made me to learn this wonderful recipe from her.
Methi Dana or Fenugreek is a common spice used in every Indian household. These seeds have both culinary and medicinal value. These small, yellowish brown seeds were given to mothers including me during post childbirth in order to stimulate breast milk production. I learnt all this while studying Foods & nutrition in my graduation.  After my son’s birth my mom use to make me eat methi laddos, I remembered my Aunt, her love & affection for her hubby. I started liking them for my baby.... They are rich source of minerals, vitamins, Phytonutrients and dietary fiber; Methi seeds have a bitter yet pleasing flavor and pungent aroma and all kids hate.
Health benefits
Diabetes management: Many studies show that regular intake of fenugreek seeds can help to keep blood sugar levels under check. These seeds are rich in dietary fiber, a major contributor to lower glucose levels. This is especially beneficial to non-insulin dependent diabetics.
Healthy – wealthy Heart: Regular consumption of fenugreek seeds helps lower bad cholesterol and triglycerides (fat found in the blood). Since fenugreek seeds keep cholesterol and diabetes under check, it helps lower risk of cardiovascular disease.
During Lactation: Fenugreek is an herbal galactagogue (a substance that boosts milk production). For centuries in India, fenugreek seeds have been given to lactating mothers to increase breast milk production.
Anti-viral properties: Fenugreek seeds can help stave off viruses that cause colds and sore throat. It also helps alleviate symptoms of both.
Anti-oxidant properties: Fenugreek seeds are loaded with antioxidants that help fight free radicals, thus protecting cells from damage. This can even help check cancer.
Alleviates PMS and menopause symptoms: Fenugreek is claimed to help lessen the effect of hot flashes and mood fluctuations, common symptoms of menopause and PMS. Intake of fenugreek seeds also help regularize menstruation cycles.
Good for digestion: Add a handful of sprouted fenugreek in yoghurt to treat diarrhoea, with lemon helps to pass gas and flatulence.
Skin & Hair:  A paste made of ground fenugreek and water is a common home remedy to treat pimples, burns and even eczema. Mixing fenugreek paste in coconut oil or soaking in Aloe Vera Gel & applying will help to control hair fall and also makes for an excellent conditioner for your hair and scalp.

Methi Usali.
Ingradients :
Methi dana/ Fenugreek seeds- ½ cup
Jaggry/ Gur- 1tbsp (powdered)
Jeera / Cumin seeds - ¼ tsp
Mustard seeds- ¼ tsp
Red chilly pd- ¼ tsp
Coriander & curry leaves
Kitchen king masala- ¼ tsp
Lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil- for vagar
Coconut gratings- ¼ cup (optional)
Onion & tomato pieces (optional)
Method:
1. Soak methi dana for 5-6 hours n then tie overnight to bring lengthy sprouts.
2. Next day wash them thoroughly n drain the water.
3. Heat pan, add oil n then put jeera or cumin seeds & mustard seeds.
4. When the splutter add rest of the ingredients one buy one expect lemon juice.
5. Cook well n when you get a nice aroma of fenugreek bring down from karayi.
6. Now add lemon juice, garnish with coriander leaves n serve with Chapathis, puris or Jowar Rotis.
It’s very simple, easy, healthy & nutritious recipe…
Enjoy friends…
*Avoid coconut gratings for heart patients. 



4 comments:

  1. Very simple to prepare, but a healthy food. Thanks for nice recipe...Savita ji...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Savita for joining me in Diabetes Awareness on this diabetic Awareness day
    Delicious and healthy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank u very much 4 appreciating my recipe @Ananth Raj ji..

    ReplyDelete